One Semester in the Life of a Web Class…

We often ask our student to reflect, in writing, on what they are learning. But how often do we challenge ourselves to do the same as teachers? This semester I set out to chronicle my experiences teaching a web class, week-by-week. I realized that my past experiences with teaching web classes were vague and jumbled in my mind, and I thought it worthwhile, for myself, to keep an ordered record of my experiences this semester. By writing it all out, I hoped to work through issues and concepts that might otherwise just fade away without being resolved in my mind. I chose to put my diary online for others to see. It can be found here. It’s not very intellectual, or polished, just a record of experiences, affirmations and frustrations that ebb and flow every week.

Sometimes people ask me what it’s like to teach a web class, and I find myself unsatisfied by my own ‘overview’ responses. For me there are so many ups and downs in the experience of teaching a web class that it is difficult to summarize it simply with a pat answer. Next time someone asks me what teaching a web class is like, I’ll say check out my blog posts! It’s all there: my mistakes, my successes, the good things students do, the bad things they do, everything that is on my mind at any given time during the semester.

2 thoughts on “One Semester in the Life of a Web Class…

1. Matt Crosslin

I think blogging about your online teaching experience is a great idea. I’m hoping we can implement something like that with all online instructors. I don’t want to require it, but it would be great to convince everyone to get on board. I would also like to see other online instructors reading each others blogs and commenting for support and encouragement. Especially if we can say 2 or 3 experienced instructors reading each new instructor’s blog.