Honors College Student Spotlight: Precious Dunamis

#HCSS is back this week to highlight senior Information Systems major, Precious Dunamis from Kogi, Nigeria! She’s the HCC Treasurer, Tau Sigma Vice President of Fundraising, AITP Undergraduate Director, and in the Senior Cohort/on the Logistic Committee of the Goolsby Leadership Academy.

Precious Dunamis poses outside of College Hall, in front of the UC.

MR: Tell me about your experience with your major, Information Systems.

PD: It really is the perfect combination between business and computer. You know, when I first enrolled in UTA, I didn’t want to just do…business in general, I wanted to add something else. And I like computers…I like working with data and stuff, but I also work in the business side of it. And so Information Systems was just that good combination and that right balance between, you know, a little bit of business and a little bit of computer, so that’s what interests me about this major.

MR: What do you want to do after you graduate?

PD: I see myself being, like, a business analyst or data analyst, where I’m just analyzing data…pulling from big data, and just analyzing it and kind of coming up with solutions or recommendations to work around business problems—or a way [I] can just recommend some ideas for businesses to grill, you know?

MR: Has being in the Honors College in any way affected those future goals for you?

PD: Yes, being in the Honors College, it opens the door for a lot of opportunities. Regularly we get emails about, you know, things happening around, like events, or scholarships. And so I’ve been getting all these emails that when I was not in the Honors College I didn’t get, and [that] really did help me. Because I get emails about events and stuff that’s happening and I actually attend those, and it really, really did help me…. It’s always good to know what is going on around, and so [the] Honors College do try with their communication to make sure that students are engaged, and that has really helped me become more engaged with UTA and what it has to offer.

MR: What has your experience in the Honors College been like as far as just connecting with other students?

PD: When I first transferred here, I remember it was…a really tough transition because I transferred from Tarrant County College, Southeast campus—a really small campus, you know, everybody knows everybody—but when I first got here it was big, it was a large university. So it was not until I got into the Honors College, I saw that it was also a smaller community, which is in particular the organization where you know, you see students who also have the same drive as you, who have the same objective as you, who have the same goals as you. And so it’s when I joined that I was able to start making friends. I made a few friends here and there and so I have people to talk to, I was able to mingle with others and really get involved, and I was like, “Yeah, okay, I found a little bit of small community in this big university.” …. That same semester, I was like, I’m going to run for officer to become more involved because of what the organization kind of offers. They just bring other students from different backgrounds together so I really love that.

MR: Is there anything about you that you want to share? Anything personal about yourself?

PD: I enjoy singing and dancing. I’m actually in the choir at my church, I’m one of the worship leaders. And so I also love dancing to any type of music, really, like people know me for singing and dancing. Which is ironic because I’m an introvert, so when people see me dancing and singing, it kind of shows a little bit of [extroversion], you know? So I guess it kind of brings me out of my shell because I’m this quiet, shy person, but… when I sing and dance and just be around people, I come out of my shell.