Honors College launches new spotlight series on social media

Written by Tabitha Redder and Madison Ray

In addition to completing more rigorous academic work, many of the students in the Honors College juggle multiple positions on and off campus. This semester, we created the Honors College Spotlight Series to highlight deserving students in the department who hustle toward graduation. Here is a selection from the students featured in October. Get to know them!

JASMINE TAYLOR

Photo by Madison Ray

Junior Jasmine Taylor studies Music Education, Business Leadership and Philosophy within her Interdisciplinary Studies major in the Honors College. She was born in Memphis, Tenn. and raised in Arlington.

She keeps busy on campus as the Student Director at the Leadership Honors Program!

Taylor said she was initially wary of joining the Honors College due to the more rigorous course load, but she’s glad she took the plunge.

“I didn’t think that someone of my academic stature could do it, but I realized I had a lot more to offer than I gave myself credit for,” she said. “I took that risk and kind of went the extra mile and did the essays — which I’m not one to do — and I got in. It was well worth it.”

For fun: Taylor said she’d enjoy salmon nigiri, steak and French fries if she was limited to just three foods for her life!

HAYLEY KLOVENSKI

Photo by Madison Ray

Nursing freshman Haley Klovenski was also featured in the series in October. She hails from Katy, Texas!

“I get to meet people who also have diverse views and nerds like me, who want to go do, and learn, more,” she said of the Honors College.

Klovenski said she also enjoys the small class size, Honors Colloquium Series, the CAB Reading Room (who doesn’t?) and free printing offered to Honors College students. She added that her peers’ motivation inspires her.

“See[ing] other kids that want to go above and beyond, like, ‘Wow, that’s really cool.’”

For fun: Klovenski said she’d like to live like Michelle Obama, Zendaya or Renée Fleming for a day.

“I want to be a kick-butt woman with great talent and passion who is able to help others and be a great role model to all,” she said. “Plus they all could afford some good shoes.”

TOMMY TRAN

Photo by Madison Ray

Another student featured in October includes computer science junior Tommy Tran. His hometown is here in Arlington! On campus, Tran serves as the public relations officer for the Honors College Council and as an Honors Advocate.

“Free printing and early registration are big pluses,” Tran said of the resources offered to Honors College students.

He also said Honors College classes encourage students to learn about the course subjects instead of students solely studying for tests.

“It makes you really interact with your professor and ask more about the subject,” Tran said.

For fun: Tommy said he is fond of video game scores and enjoys listening to video game composers.

Want to see more of the HCSS? Follow the Honors College on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram!