The Importance of Family Support: A Journey from UTA’s Student Body President

Blaize and her mother 1st time at UTA

Hello Maverick Family, 

As we look forward to the beginning of school, students and parents may be experiencing mixed feelings of fear, excitement, confusion, happiness, pain, and multiple other emotions. COVID has changed our lives, but the future of your maverick is still bright and full of possibilities. They will need your support now more than ever because we know that having a network of parents, family, and loved ones along the way will make a huge difference in our students’ college experience. This month we would like to share with you the journey of Blaize LaFleur, our very own UTA Student Body President:

LaFleur Family
LaFleur Family during Blaize’s HS Graduation

“Call me if you need anything, okay? I love you. Have fun.” She managed to push the words out with tears in her eyes. “I love you too, mom.” The longer I looked at her face the harder it became to keep smiling. “Bye,” said my little brother in an uninterested tone that snapped me out of the sentimental moment we were having. As they drove off, it hit me. I was actually a college student. I had moved four hours away from home in Houston to pursue higher education, and it was nothing short of exciting. That didn’t take away the feelings of nervousness though. Nobody from my high school was going to UTA, so I was forced to start over in a sense. However, I came to like the idea of reinventing myself and soon started enjoying the welcome events and not thinking about home.

That was two years ago, and I think fondly back to that day. I’m now a junior political science major who also just so happens to be the student body president. Freshman, exercise science-major “me” would have never believed that this is where I’d be today. My mom always encouraged me to do my best and told me that I would excel at anything I pursued. I didn’t realize the impact this had on me until I was away from home. Starting college is a big deal, and I know I wouldn’t have been able to cope with all the new changes and challenges I encountered without the support I got from home.

In my first year, I was just trying to find my way and get to know people. It was important to me to get acclimated (and quickly) because I couldn’t just go home to something familiar while I was figuring things out. The number one thing that made my freshman year so memorable was joining student organizations. I was looking for people who looked like me and had the same interests as myself, and I was lucky to find those groups of people rather quickly. A few weeks into the school year I joined the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and Black Student Association (BSA). This not only gave me something to do in all the free time I found myself having, but more importantly, it allowed me to meet people, make friends, and build my confidence. I didn’t want to be the student that just went to class, the dining hall, and back to my dorm – so I forced myself to engage with the community and for that, I am forever grateful.

The summer after my freshman year I became the Political Action Chair in NAACP. Due to this, I got the privilege to attend the NAACP’s National Conference in Detroit, MI. That experience was one I’ll never forget, and it opened my eyes to how I could further change my community for the better. By the end of the summer, I had applied and got accepted for a senator position in student government. By the end of 2020, I had joined Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. My mom was still supportive of me, but with each thing, I added to my plate she warned that I was taking on too much at once. I promised her that I could handle it all and still do well in my classes, but she didn’t come around for a little while longer. She knew that the things I was involved in were important to me, so she was there to guide me through it all and remained my number one fan.

Fast forward to the present day, and I’m doing the things I dreamed of as I entered college. Not only do I get to help change UTA for the better, but I also get to represent the student body and advocate on their behalf. As president, it is a part of my normal duties to be the students’ representative on different committees and boards, such as the UT System Student Advisory Council and Downtown Arlington Board of Directors. Due to the current political climate and transformation our country is going through, I have been able to serve as president in areas that I didn’t think was feasible. This includes things like a task force for developing the diversity

Sigma Gamma Rho Neophyte Presentation
Blaize and her mother during the Sigma Gamma Rho Neophyte Presentation.

curriculum for all freshmen and transfer students at UTA, UTA’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee, and the City of Arlington Unity Council.

I am more than thankful to be in the position that I am right now. Working through COVID-19 has definitely been a challenge, but I think that makes what I’m working towards all the more important. Now more than ever, students need someone to advocate for them and I am happy to say that I do my best to serve them well in all capacities. I never thought I’d be able to combine my role in student government with the social change and community service work from Sigma Gamma Rho and NAACP. Lo and behold, here I am doing what I thought was impossible.

Things weren’t always easy, and I can especially say that in regard to recent months. Sometimes I stressed, struggled, and screamed at how overwhelming and difficult life could get. After all, I’m a college student. We’re all in that awkward stage of finding ourselves, becoming adults, and learning how the world works all the while going to school and even working. I can’t see how I would have navigated these monumental life changes without my support system at home. My mom has always been there for me every step of the way, and I cannot express how much that means to me. As the school year begins looking unlike anything we’ve encountered before, I’m grateful I can rely on my family to strengthen me through the good and bad.

The Parent and Family Center is here to support and encourage you to be the changing force in your student’s journey. The following months may prove to be a difficult transition for all, but nothing will replace the love and support you can offer your Maverick. We look forward to hearing more success stories from our students, and cannot wait to meet you as you join our Maverick Family! 

Your UTA Parent & Family Team

Note: If you’d like to be featured in our blog, please send an email to parents@uta.edu. We love to hear stories directly from our students, parents, and their families! (Topics may vary by month)